Proteins are essential nutrients used to promote muscle development, aid in tissue repair, provide energy and support a healthy immune system in all animals. During digestion, the body breaks down dietary protein into amino acids. Different species have different daily requirements for amino acids. Dogs need even more protein than humans.
Dietary Sources for Protein
Not all protein sources are equal. Here are the most common protein sources explained.
- Fresh meat is highly palatable, but lower than meat meals in protein density.
- Meat meal is concentrated by cooking away water and some of the fat from fresh meat.
- Meat by-product meal is similar to meat meal, but sometimes contains other animal tissues.
- Dairy protein is highly digestible and includes sources such as casein or whey protein.
- Egg protein is considered the most ideal protein due to its amino acid profile and digestibility.
- Plant protein is made by removing the starch components of certain grains or vegetables.
Sources Used in NATURAL CHOICE® Dog Food
The Nutro Company uses a combination of animal and plant proteins to balance the amino acid levels in our dog food. We use highly digestible, quality proteins from sources such as U.S. farm-raised chicken, New Zealand and Australian pasture-fed lamb, seasonally caught fish and high-quality pea protein. Find the right NATURAL CHOICE® Dog Food with high-quality proteins for your dog.