Cat Toxins Commonly Found at Home
Things we consider common items can be very harmful — even fatal — to your cat. And many of these items often are found around the home. Check this list to make sure none of these are within your cat’s reach.
Harmful “People Food”
What might seem like a simple snack or flavoring spice to you can mean serious health problems for your pet. Are any of these in easy reach of your cat?
- Grapes and raisins
- Onions and garlic
- Alcoholic drinks
- Macadamia nuts
- Citrus fruits
Other Harmful Household Items
Here are a few other items to watch for that you might not think about.
- Acetaminophen and many other prescription and non-prescription drugs
- Houseplants, such as lilies
- Flea and tick medications meant for dogs
- Common household cleaners, such as kitchen and bath surface cleaners, carpet cleaners and toilet-bowl cleaners
- Liquid potpourri, such as those used with scent diffusers
What to Do in Case of Ingestion
If your cat ingests any of these items, call a vet immediately. The vet might recommend you induce vomiting quickly yourself.